Keep it safe and legal

We don’t want anything to get in the way of your event being a huge success. Take the time to have a read through some of the legal, safety and practical things to consider when raising money for charity.

Some useful information on organising your own event can be found on the Fundraising Regulator, Institute of Fundraising and UK Government websites

If you have any questions or unsure about anything, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Supporter Experience Team on 01276 405060 or [email protected].

Cash Handling

If you’re going to be handling cash at an event, ensure you have plans in place to keep yourself and your money safe. We recommend using a cash box with a lock or a sealed collection bucket when taking payments or donations to keep it secure.

Your safety is extremely important to us. After an event, get the money to the bank as soon as possible and try to ensure you have someone with you to count and transport the cash, concealing it on the journey rather than in our branded charity buckets or tins. If you're ever confronted by someone demanding the cash, just hand over the money and don't put up a fight. This should then be reported to the police as soon as possible.

⇧ Return to top


Collections are a great way to raise money, however if you're holding collections in certain spaces you must make sure you have permission. We explain the different types of collections below and any permissions you may need.

Public collections

If you're holding a public collection (in a public space), this must be licensed by the Local Authority – we can help you with this. Get in touch with our Supporter Experience Team on 01276 40 50 60 or [email protected] and we can provide you with the materials you'll need for a collection, including buckets, stickers and T-shirts. We can also confirm that we don’t already have an organised collection in the same area and advise you on how to make an application to your Local Authority.

Private collections

If you're holding a private collection (on private premises) then you don't need permission from the Local Authority; however, you might need to get permission from the owner of the premises and must respect the conditions they set out for the collection.

House to house / business to business collections

Any collections that are house-to-house or business-to-business must be carried out under a license. We ask that you don't carry out house-to-house collections on our behalf; however, if you'd like to carry out business collections (including pub-to-pub), please get in touch for further information and we'll be happy to support you.

⇧ Return to top

Data Protection

Protecting the data of individuals is extremely important. When carrying or keeping any electronic or paper record about people involved in a fundraising event (including guests), please ensure it complies with data protection law. As a rule of thumb, only collect the information you need, don’t keep it for any longer than you need to (and dispose of safely) and seek permission from an individual if you wish to share their data. More information can be found at the Information Commissioner's Office.

⇧ Return to top

Alcohol & Public Entertainment Rules

Music always livens up an event, and you may want to serve alcohol – if your event involves either of these or any other form of entertainment such as dancing, showing a film, or an indoor sporting event, you may need a licence.

You can check whether your event will require a public entertainment or alcohol licence on the Government’s website. Your event venue may already hold a licence, but if not, you will need to apply for a ‘Temporary Events Notice’ (TEN) via your local authority. A TEN usually costs around £20 and you can begin the application process here.

⇧ Return to top

Suppliers & Hired Equipment

As expected when organising a fundraising event, you need a team of people to help you make it a success. If you're using external suppliers for equipment or services, make sure you use a company that comes recommended. Ask to see a copy of their Public Liability Insurance and risk assessment for the event in advance. If you're not happy with anything on the day, stop the activity.

⇧ Return to top

Food Hygiene

Please take great care if you're selling or serving food at your event, working to basic rules for safe preparation, storage, display and cooking.

The Food Standards Agency provides guidelines for preparing, handling and cooking food. If you're using a caterer, you'll need to ensure they have a food hygiene certificate and public liability insurance.

⇧ Return to top

Health & safety, plus Risk Assessments

Before an event, it's best practice to carry out a full risk assessment to find, reduce and control any perceived risks to those attending however it's not a legal requirement.

Make-A-Wish UK cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury suffered by yourself or anyone else as a result of taking part in a fundraising event organised in aid of Make-A-Wish UK.

Help for how to complete a risk assessment can be found at the Health and Safety Executive.

In addition to health and safety issues, please consider possible risks to Make-A-Wish UK’s reputation. If you're using third parties please check these are reputable organisations. If the nature of your event may be considered controversial by some, contact our Supporter Care team on 01276 405060 or email [email protected] for further advice.

⇧ Return to top

First Aid

It might be worth considering having first aid at your event if it’s not already available at the venue. Check with organisations such as St John’s Ambulance or the Red Cross who will be able to provide you with advice and support for your event.

⇧ Return to top


By organising your own fundraising event in aid of Make-A-Wish UK, you're responsible for the safety of people attending so please make sure you have the necessary insurance in place and check that any equipment or building hire is covered as insurance might be included in the fee.

You may need to consider arranging public liability cover for some events, which will protect you against claims made by third parties – please seek advice if you are unsure.

⇧ Return to top


Please ensure that all materials promoting your event specify that it's ‘in aid of’ Make-A-Wish UK.

The easiest way to do this is to create posters or flyers which can be downloaded from our resource hub and include our correct logo and registered charity numbers.

⇧ Return to top

Raffles & Lotteries

Raffles and lotteries are a brilliant crowd-pleaser; however, there are strict legal requirements - more information about these rules can be found at the Gambling Commission.

In short, if you're planning a raffle or other game of chance (such as a tombola or duck race) as part of an event, and tickets will only be sold at that event, you wouldn't require a licence for this. If, however, you wish to sell tickets in advance, or to people not attending the event, this would require a licence, or an alternative such as a prize draw.

Please check with our Supporter Experience Team on 01276 40 50 60 before you plan your raffle and we can make sure you’ve got everything covered.

⇧ Return to top


If there are children at your event, you should ensure they have permission to take part and have someone to look after them. Adults looking after children should have carried out appropriate checks. See the Government's Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) information for more guidance.

⇧ Return to top