If you are a Parent / Guardian of one or more Wish Children please read through the policy. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact our Qualifications Team on [email protected] or 0118 304 2776.
Make-A-Wish Foundation® UK
Please read this Policy carefully. If you do not agree to this Policy, please do not submit any personal information to us (whether online or within any application forms).
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Make-A-Wish Foundation® UK, Seventh Floor, Thames Tower, Station Road, Reading, Berkshire RG1 1LX, Charity Registration Nos. 295672/SC037479.
Does this Policy apply to you?
This Policy applies specifically to parents or legal guardians who are making applications to us (referred to as “wish applications”) for or on behalf of their child (referred to as the “wish child”). This Policy also applies to the wish child him or herself.
Please note that wish applications cannot be made or progressed without the involvement and consent of the parents or guardians of the wish child.
- For a parent or legal guardian of a wish child: If you are a parent or legal guardian of a wish child, this Policy applies both to your own personal information and that of your wish child. We therefore request you to consent, on your own behalf and on behalf of your wish child, to our processing of your information as set out in this Policy. If your wish child is at least 12 years old and able to understand the meaning and impact of this Policy, then we will also endeavour to obtain his or her own consent where possible.
- For a wish child: If you are the wish child and at least 12 years old, then in addition to obtaining the consent of your parent(s) or legal guardian, we would also like to receive your own consent, provided you understand this Policy and understand the meaning and impact of giving us your consent.
In the remainder of this Policy, any reference to “you” and “your” means the parent or guardian of a wish child.
What information do we collect and process?
We may collect the following personal information:
- name, postal address, telephone number, email address of parents / guardian and/or the wish child,
- the wish child’s gender, date of birth, language(s) spoken,
- photographs and/or moving film images of parents / guardian and/or the wish child,
- other personal information relating to the wish child and his or her family, including details of family living arrangements, siblings and pets,
- information relating to the wish him or herself, and other information needed by us to help us in organising and delivering a wish for the wish child, or for answering any enquiries and requests, and
- where you have agreed to provide a donation to us or otherwise support us, your bank or credit card details.
We may also collect and process the following sensitive personal information:
- details of the wish child’s physical and/or mental health conditions, where needed to assess the wish child’s eligibility, needs and requirements (including but not limited to health records and information, details of current medication, diagnosis and treatment, equipment requirements, and mobility and/or disability requirements),
- the wish child’s doctor and hospital details, and (where applicable) other related health professionals, such as community nurses and social workers,
- information related to ethnic background (which we collect solely for statistical purposes), and
- information related to religious or similar beliefs.
Subject to receiving your consent to the wish child’s medical information being released, we may also collect health records and information relating to the wish child directly from the wish child’s doctor or other related health professionals. We will combine, store and use this information together with information that you have given to us directly.
In addition to collecting information from wish referral forms and wish application forms, we may also collect personal information during visits or other meetings with you and/or your wish child, or via telephone conversations or emails with or from you and/or your wish child.
What do we use this information for?
We collect, store, use and process personal information primarily to assist us in responding to, processing and fulfilling your or your child’s wish application and for providing related services to you and the wish child. This includes:
- processing and responding to applications, queries or requests,
- fulfilling wishes on behalf of the wish child and liaising with medical professionals and/or carers in respect of such activities, and
- arranging and/or providing medical care and/or treatment for the wish child.
More generally, we may also use your personal information for the following reasons:
- compliance with legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations and good practice,
- gathering information as part of investigations by regulatory bodies or in connection with legal proceedings or requests,
- ensuring business policies are adhered to (such as policies covering security and internet use),
- internal operational reasons, such as troubleshooting, testing, training and quality control,
- ensuring the confidentiality of sensitive information,
- security vetting, investigating complaints and allegations of criminal offences,
- statistical analysis and research,
- preventing unauthorised access and modifications to systems,
- to notify you of changes to our services, or
- to inform you of any new products, services or promotions we may offer or make available from time to time.
We regularly review our data retention periods for all personal information that we hold. We shall endeavour to contact you on a regular basis to ensure that the personal information we hold about you and your wish child is accurate and up-to-date.
Please also refer to the “Direct Marketing” section below.
With whom do we share your information?
We may share your personal information and that of your wish child with the organisations or types of organisations listed below. The information we share may include the wish child’s sensitive information, such as health records, medical condition and requirements.
- any of our group companies from time to time (including any future group companies);
- Make-A-Wish Foundation International, a United States entity, in its role as provider of administrative and technical support to us, or as a liaison, in connection with any of the IT service providers mentioned below;
- any Make-A-Wish affiliate located in any other country, where the wish is taking place in that other country or where we need to liaise with that overseas affiliate to assist us in delivering the wish. That overseas affiliate will only have access to the information it needs in order to provide us with that assistance. Details of where our affiliates are based can be found at https://www.worldwish.org/en/make-a-wish-story;
- the trusted operators of secure cloud-based platforms accessed by us and/or our Make-A-Wish affiliates from time to time in order to provide centralised data storage, and data management and transaction processing services. Specifically, this includes Salesforce Inc., an entity established in the United States, which hosts a customer relationship management platform used by Make-A-Wish affiliates to enable them to administer, co-ordinate and track wish applications. Such operators or service providers shall only be permitted access to your information to the extent required by them in order to provide us with contracted system maintenance, support or related services, or to provide (or assist us in performing) any related data back-up, restoration or other error correction or bug fixing activities.
Where we are unable to fulfil a wish we may introduce other charities to you, who might alternatively be able to help you and your wish child. In the course of doing so we may share your and/or your wish child’s contact details with them, together with an outline description of your wish child’s medical condition, and mobility/disability requirements.
We also reserve the right to disclose some or all of your or your wish child’s personal information to:
- government bodies or law enforcement agencies, or response to other legal or regulatory requests, but only if and to the extent required by law to do so; and
- our auditors, lawyers or other professional advisers for any auditing, accounting or related business purposes, or in the enforcement, defence or settlement of any legal proceedings brought by or against us, but only if and to the extent such disclosure is strictly necessary for these purposes.
Where do we store and process your data?
The information that we collect relating to you and your wish child will be stored on our secure servers within the United Kingdom.
In addition, your and your wish child’s personal information may also be transferred by us to, and stored by, entities located outside the European Economic Area, including entities located in the United States of America or to other countries around the world which do not have data protection laws equivalent to those in the UK. This information may include sensitive personal data. These entities may include Salesforce Inc. (and its relevant subsidiaries), Make-A-Wish Foundation International, and other overseas Make-A-Wish affiliates (as mentioned above). Salesforce Inc. is certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield and as such has committed to internal practices and policies which ensure a level of protection equivalent to the data protection laws in the UK (please refer to www.privacyshield.gov and http://www.salesforce.com/assets/pdf/misc/privacy-shield-notice.pdf for further details). We shall ensure that all information transferred to any entity outside the European Economic Area is transferred in compliance with all applicable data protection laws and regulations.
We believe that we have taken all technical and organisational steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your, and your wish child’s, personal information under our control is held securely and in accordance with applicable law and this Policy. However please note that the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your and your wish child’s personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information which is transmitted to us via the internet.
Recording and Photography
We may collect and process photographs and/or moving film images in connection with the fulfilment of any wish application. In addition, where explicit consent has been provided under our Publicity Authorisation Form, we may photograph and/or film wishes for the purpose of sharing stories on behalf of wish children and encouraging charitable activities.
If you have concerns about the use of photographs or moving film images of your wish child, please contact us at [email protected]
We also gather statistical and technical information about our web users, traffic patterns and website performance in order to provide a better experience to website visitors. This may include the IP address of the device you are using to access our website, your operating system and your browser type. This data does not identify you or your wish child.
Use of your information for direct marketing purposes
Where you have consented to receive marketing communications from us, and/or to be placed on mailing lists, in connection with future support of our charitable aims or as a potential donor, volunteer or fundraiser, we may also (in accordance with applicable law) use your contact details, including email address and telephone number(s), for requesting and/or processing donations, recording transactions and related direct marketing purposes. We may also obtain and store your bank or credit card details where you are an active donor or fundraiser, and use that information in connection with receiving donations and recording transactions from or with you.
We do not sell or share any of your or your wish child’s personal information to any other person or business for the purposes of marketing.
Even if you have initially consented to receive marketing communications from us, you have the right at any time to ask us not to use your personal information for marketing purposes. You may exercise this right by opting out of any marketing communications we may send you. You may also exercise this right by contacting us at [email protected] or by writing to us at Make-A-Wish Foundation® UK, Seventh Floor, Thames Tower, Station Road, Reading, Berkshire RG1 1LX.
You or your wish child are entitled to access any personal information we hold about you or your wish child, respectively. You or your wish child may contact us at any time to request a copy of your information or to have any inaccuracies corrected. Please contact us at [email protected] or by writing to us at Make-A-Wish Foundation® UK, Seventh Floor, Thames Tower, Station Road, Reading, Berkshire RG1 1LX if you would like to correct, update or request a copy of, any personal information that we hold relating to you or your wish child, or if you have any questions in relation to our use of that information under this Policy.
You may contact us in relation to this policy at [email protected] or by writing to Make-A-Wish Foundation® UK, Seventh Floor, Thames Tower, Station Road, Reading, Berkshire RG1 1LX