Community Wish Coordinator
Community Wish Coordinator
Time commitment: Ongoing
Skills required: Good communication, good organisation, commitment
Benefits of volunteering: Be a part of the wish journey and help us to grant life-changing wishes to children with critical illnesses
Why we need you
Every year, many thousands of children in the UK are diagnosed with a critical illness and every year more children turn to us for a wish. We are now calling on our communities to get involved in the delivery of our wishes, whilst adding a bit of local magic!
What will I be doing?
You will be the family’s main point of contact and will coordinate the wish from initial call to the final delivery. You will be leading on a variety of wish types with a focus on ‘To Have’ and ‘To Be’.
Specifically, the responsibilities that you will hold will be:
- Complete admin tasks on the ‘Salesforce’ system
- Work with volunteers, supporters and suppliers in the area
- Seek donated goods/ services using our quality control checks
- Create an excellent experience for families by building anticipation and supporting them throughout their wish journey
What skills and attributes do I need?
- Good IT skills
- Passionate about supporting Make-A-Wish’s mission
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Attention to detail and ability to follow process
- Proactive, self-motivated work ethic with the ability to adapt to change
- Ability to think creatively and use initiative
- Confident working within a team as well as solo
- Tactful, reliable and approachable – with ability to empathise and build relationships
- Be Magical, Be Inspiring, Be Inclusive!
Please note that a DBS check is required for this role.
How much time do I need to commit?
Over the course of the year, we would aim to allocate up to 5 wishes per volunteer. Timescales vary wish-to-wish but you could expect to spend 15-20 hours on a wish spread over the course of a few weeks.
What support will I be given?
- Online volunteer welcome induction & role specific training sessions
- GDPR and safeguarding training
- 1-2-1 support from an experienced member of staff
- Reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses
- Regular newsletter with latest Make-A-Wish news and information
- Access to a tailored volunteer Facebook group
- WhatsApp support group
What do I gain?
- Become part of the Make-A-Wish team at a national and local level
- The opportunity to work flexibly around your current commitments
- A chance to bring your community to life around a fantastic cause
- A role that allows you to build volunteers’ impact – spreading the word of a wish to make a far wider difference to the lives of critically ill children and young people
Where will I be based?
You will be able to carry out this role from home – and whilst there are elements that will require desk work, the majority can be done on the move.
The organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS disclosure will be requested where required
Make-A-Wish is committed to attracting and recruiting diverse candidates as it’s important that our trustees, employees, ambassadors and volunteers reflect the communities we serve at every level within the organisation.
All volunteer roles are subject to an informal interview and two satisfactory references.