Make-A-Wish in Scotland
Our Scotland Volunteer and Community Fundraising Manager Carolyn Thornton is the person to contact about our fundraising operations in Scotland. She’s based at our dedicated Scotland office in Edinburgh:
Suite 7, 21 Lansdowne Crescent, Edinburgh EH12 5EH
T/F: 0131 535 1037 M: 07740 161988
- If you would like to know more about becoming one of our valued Make-A-Wish volunteers, please click here.
- Would you like to fundraise for Make-A-Wish? For further details about individual and community fundraising and some great ideas for creating your own fundraising events, please follow this link.
- Are you part of a business that's seeking a charity to raise money for at work? Follow this link to find out more about becoming one of our Charity of the Year partners.
- Legacy donations are an important part of the income of Make-A-Wish and help us to continue granting our magical wishes. Please click here to find out more.
The Granite City Ball, Aberdeen
The inaugural Granite City Ball will take place at The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa in Aberdeen on Friday 28 June 2013, from 7.00pm.
It's going to be a spectacular event themed on childhood dreams & wishes!
There'll be a local band, The Last Resort, a raffle and an auction, with prizes so far having been donated by Sir Chris Hoy, Katherine Grainger, Paul Laurie and lots of generous local businesses.
Tables of 10 will cost just £950. If you would like to book a table or require further information, please check out our Facebook page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org...
A huge thank you to Creative Oceanic, who have once again chosen Make-A-Wish as their Charity Partner at not one event but four in Scotland.
Pictured here are our wonderful volunteers, Phillip, Christine, Zoe and Pauline, who attended the Scottish Wedding Awards at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Glasgow recently. Make-A-Wish will also attend the What’s On Awards on 18 August, the Scottish Independent Retail Awards on 8 October and the Scottish Hair and Beauty Awards on 17 November.
12 year old Eve from Aberdeen, who lives with Rett Syndrome (a rare neurological disorder), loves bagpipes! So when we asked her parents what her perfect wish would be, they said a trip to the Edinburgh Tattoo to listen to the bagpipes.
On the day of her wish, Eve was given a tour of Edinburgh Castle before taking her seat for the Tattoo, which is a parade of some top-notch military bands and display teams. Having enjoyed the show, Eve met four pipers afterwards - but her Mum, Louise, said Eve’s favourite moment was when the Edinburgh Castle guide was talking about the crown jewels. She said: “It’s hard to get a smile from Eve but she was definitely content and grinning during the castle tour.”
Eve was diagnosed in 2004, but her parents started to notice something was wrong when she was around five months old; Eve wasn’t reaching key milestones and her developmental progress was very delayed. Eve’s condition is characterised by severe Scoliosis (a curved spine), respiratory difficulties and seizures; she relies on ventilation when she is asleep and has an overnight care team. The condition also causes profound and multiple physical and learning disabilities and consequently Eve does not communicate verbally.
Louise said: “The best moment was seeing people interacting with Eve directly. People often don’t know how to communicate with Eve, or find it awkward so talk over her, but everyone spoke directly to Eve and engaged her. Make-A-Wish granted us an experience we could never have arranged ourselves. It provided us with a distraction from Eve’s condition and was a really fun, family day out.”
Below is a list of our upcoming events: click on the event you are interested in to find out more information on how to take part.
- Edinburgh Marathon Festival – 25 and 26 May 2013
- Edinburgh Trekathon – 8 June 2013
- Caledonian Challenge – 15-16 June 2013
- Ben Nevis Trek – 5 and 6 July 2013
- Scotland Bungee Jump
- Edinburgh Night Ride – 7-8 Septmber 2013
- Loch Ness Marathon – 29 September 2013